Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Sweet Peek into the Greene Home

I spent the afternoon and evening with the Greenes today as we celebrated Ansel's 7th birthday. It was a great time watching the kids go nuts together, and just being in their home. There is a sweetness to their family that I'm sure has been enhanced through their situation, and it is a blessing to watch them. They love each other so much.
They received a Wii from Nichole's mom for Christmas, and set it up today. Ansel was so excited once they got it set up, and was playing (and flailing all over the place trying to hit that tennis ball) and having a great time. But as soon as he saw that Levi had woken up from his nap, he stopped for a moment, ran to Levi, and in his big brother condescending to little brother way, greeted Levi with a quick hug and "Hi Levi!! Hi Levi!!" A 7 year old boy, stopping in the middle of a brand new video game to greet his two year old brother... It was just sweet.
There was a sweet simplicity about the afternoon- Ansel wanted hot dogs for dinner, and we had chocolate cake and ice cream, and watched the five boys run around outside (occasionally making their presence known inside), while the little kids played inside (mostly). The adults convened in the "play room" and chatted while we munched on chips and drank soda. Nichole mostly sat on the couch watching the kids, snuggling with Levi, and talking with the moms (especially when he woke up from his nap), while Norm and her mom took care of the "party things" (hot dogs, cake, etc.). She did get up when it was cake-time and we sang to Ansel, but not for too long. She doesn't have much stamina, and is in some pain as well (abdominal) because of her recent sickness.
Nichole and I spoke for a while and again, I was encouraged. Her perspective is still amazingly focused on what is true, and she is still confident in God's perfect plan for her. She shared with me how she has recently been encouraged so much through reading the Psalms, and particularly Psalm 13.

"How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I take cousel in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
lest my enemy say, 'I have prevailed over him,'
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.

But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD, because He has dealt bountifully with me."

Nichole said that she could relate to falling into a similar pattern of complaining to the Lord, feeling like she has been forgotten by Him. BUT, then she remembers his mercy on her life, all of the kindness that He has shown to her (particularly through the saints!), and returns to a grateful, sweet relationship with the Lord, trusting in Him. Remembering all that she has been through, and what she is currently enduring (chemo pill, IV chemo starting Monday, and abdominal pain- having just gotten over a 9 week fever, etc. etc.), let's remember that her faith and hope have been tested and tried through the furnace, and be encouraged by her faithfulness!

Let's also continue to pray for the Greene family.
Pray that Nichole's abdomen would heal and she wouldn't experience the pain that she has been having.
Pray that she would not have a severe reaction to the IV chemo that she will be receiving Monday, and pray for it's effectiveness to kill the cancer cells!
Pray for her family to be strengthened through this trial, and for each of them to be dependent on the Lord.
Pray that more people would come to salvation through their family's testimony!

No comments: